This Week @ Queen’s Park and Queen’s Park – January 11, 2019
- OACP Director of Government Relations and Communications, Joe Couto, had a very productive meeting with senior staff at the Minister of Community Safety and Correctional Services Sylvia Jones’ office. Issues discussed include the development of Regulations for the Safety Ontario Act, support first responders when it comes to their mental health and well-being, and Provincial grants funding.
- The OACP is looking forward to meeting with MCSCS officials next week to discuss PSA consultations on Regulations for the Safer Ontario Act.
- OACP President Kimberley Greenwood, Past-President Chief Bryan Larkin, Executive Director Jeff McGuire, and Director of Government Relations and Communications, Joe Couto attended the release of Justice Michael Tulloch’s review of Street Checks Regulations. The OACP welcomed the report and looks forward to working with government, police, and community partners as the Provincial Government reviews the report.
- The OACP is considering whether to seek intervenor status in the Randy Fleming v. The Queen case. This case is being heard at the Supreme Court of Canada and involves a man involved in a counter-demonstration in Caledonia, ON in 2009. The appeal to the SCC is based on common law powers of the police and has the potential to have a significant impact on policing in Canada.
- On October 17, 2018, the federal Cannabis Act came into force, legalizing and regulating access to cannabis for adults in Canada. Health Canada is developing regulations governing the production and sale of additional cannabis products, namely edible cannabis, cannabis extracts and cannabis topicals. These cannabis products will be permitted for legal sale under the Cannabis Act no later than October 17, 2019. The proposed regulations for edible cannabis, cannabis extracts and cannabis topicals were announced on December 20, 2018. Health Canada is hosting a WebEx session on Tuesday, January 15, 2019 to provide stakeholders who will be directly affected by the regulations with a technical briefing on the proposals. This will allow participants to be better informed to send a written submission. Executive Director Jeff McGuire will participate in this session.